Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fresh Squash and Pasta Recipe

Well, it is that time of year that those of us with gardens are starting to have an over abundance of fresh vegetables and we are all trying to figure out what to do with them. I know I have run through everyone of my recipes for squash, tomatoes, peppers and peas. So the other night for dinner I was faced with the problem of how to fix the yellow squash and zucchini in a different way that the kids would eat. Well this is what I can up with and not only did they love it, they wanted seconds and wanted to know when I would fix it again. Thought I would share the recipe with you for your family to enjoy.

Fresh Squash and Pasta

Pasta of your choice ( I used fettuccine)
2 yellow crooked neck squash cut into chunks
2 zucchini cut into chunks
1/2 large onion chopped
1 large bell pepper chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
For flavor use what ever spices or seasoning your family loves, for us I used a Cajun mixture along with Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt

Cook the pasta according to the directions and drain setting aside.

While the pasta is cooking, melt some butter in a large fry pan or cast iron skillet. Put in the onion, garlic and peppers and let them start cooking, Chop up the squash and zucchini and put them in along with the seasoning. Cook until the squash is cooked but still firm and slightly crunchy. Stir in the pasta and serve as a side dish.

My oldest asked me to next time add shrimp to the dish and just serve it as a main course, so this is another option for you.

Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you again!