Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm still here, I think!

Okay, I know it has been a while since my last post. No I did not fall off the planet, just got buried under snow and paperwork, which really looked like snow from the bottom of the pile.
I have managed, I think, to dig myself out of the paperwork pile that comes at the end of the year when you are the bookkeeper and office manager for two business, plus end of semester grades for the girls and my own school work. Heaving a huge sigh of relief right now.
So what does the new year have planned for us right now? In a week a freezer full of fresh grass fed beef! Yummy! That however was not always my reaction to grass fed beef.  When we first moved to the hubby's family ranch and butchered the first time, I was not sure what to make of it. I was city raised and meat came from the grocery store, I was wise enough to know that it came from animals that had been raised and processed to feed me, but they were corn fed. Now if you have never eaten grass fed beef, let me tell you that it does taste different than corn fed beef from a store. I have no words on the difference, but once you try it you can tell the difference in one bite.
Much to my husbands dismay that first year was pretty slim on the beef end of meals, as I did not care for the taste of the beef.  Then on one of our rare trips to the big city we stopped at a steak house and I ordered a steak, looking forward to my corn fed processed beef again. Well I will tell you that was the last time that I have eaten willingly corn fed beef. I could not get over that the taste was so different from what I had become accustomed to with our beef and did not know it!
Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those who raise their beef cattle on corn and we sell our calves every fall to buyers who are sending them on to feed lots to finish out on corn and grain feed. All I'm saying is that our steers we keep each year that are only raised on grass taste so much different that it is amazing. If you have never had a chance to try grass raised beef, give it a chance if you can. It is like eating a steak for the very first time all over again!
I just can't wait until the week is over and we can start to process the beef and get that first new steak of the season on the grill. I don't even care if it snowing outside, that baby is going on the grill!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you again!